Science + Communication + Design
Science, Communication, Design: these are the broad headings under which my many interests lie. I hold a B.A. in Environmental Studies & Conservation Biology from Middlebury College and a M.S. in Geographic Information Science from the University of Minnesota. I have worked in the fields of bird conservation, communications, user experience design, and geographic information science. I currently work as a cartographer for the National Park Service in Denver.
I am interested in work that engages people with information about the world around them. I support breaking down the barriers of communication between scientists and the public by engaging people in the process of science. I believe that it's worth the extra effort to translate research and discovery into a format that makes it meaningful, relatable, and beautiful. I seek a career that lets me do this by any means necessary, but especially with maps.
I'm always interested to new projects or collaborations. If you're interested in working together, let's talk. Email me at email@example.com or find me on twitter @mtaylorlong.
M. Taylor Long - Resume
- Effective Communication, Writing & Speaking
- Leadership & Project Management
- Collaborative Problem Solving & Design
- Attention to Detail & Aesthetics
- Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop
- Axure, OmniGraffle, Sketch, InVision
- Bootstrap framework
- Git, Github
- Mapbox, CARTO, Leaflet.js
- QGIS, PostgreSQL/PostGIS
- Python, ArcPy
- C++ (limited)
- ERDAS Imagine, GeoDa, IDRISI, Netlogo
- Languages: Spanish (conversational), Mandarin Chinese (limited)
M.S. in Geographic Information Science | University of Minnesota
- Minneapolis, MN | Fall 2012 - Spring 2015
- GPA: 4.0
B.A. in Environmental Studies | Middlebury College
- Middlebury, VT | Fall 2003 - Spring 2007
- Focus in Conservation Biology
- Cum laude
School for International Training
- Quito, Ecuador | Fall 2005
- Semester Abroad: Conservation and Environmental Policy
National Outdoor Leadership School
- Lander, WY | Summer 2002
- Backpacking & leadership training in the Wind River Wilderness for 26 days.
Cartographer / Research Associate | National Park Service / Colorado State University
- Denver, CO | Aug 2015 - Present
- Lead design updates for Park Tiles, a suite of online basemaps customized for the National Park Service and used widely on park websites.
- Work closely with parks such as Yellowstone on Park Mobile app projects, developing spatial data and content, designing custom basemaps, and gathering feedback to share with the app developer for continued improvements.
- Develop workflows and wireframes for mobile application internal editing interfaces.
- Consult with park and regional staff to build interactive web maps to effectively showcase their data using tools developed by our team.
User Experience Apprentice | The Nerdery
- Minneapolis, MN | Jun 2015 - Aug 2015
- Attended UX lectures, workshops and book club meetings as part of an intensive, paid, three-month
training program for new UX designers.
- Shadowed working user experience designers and contributed to projects with billable hours.
- Led UX design workshops with clients, conducted user interviews, and synthesized findings into recommendations and wireframes.
Teaching Assistant, Principles of Cartography | Department of Geography, University of Minnesota
- Minneapolis, MN | Jan 2015 - May 2015
- Independently redesigned and presented nine lab exercises, introducing students to technical tools and workflows for cartography using ArcGIS for Desktop and Adobe Illustrator.
- Assisted students with homework and graded all lab assignments using my own rubric.
Graduate Research Assistant | U-Spatial Help Desk, University of Minnesota
- Minneapolis, MN | Jan 2013 - May 2015
- Provided support through the Spatial Help Desk to U of M students and faculty requesting help with spatial research projects.
- Assisted with special GIS projects, such as the Agriculture GeoDesign Project through the College of Landscape Architecture or the Donor Mapping Study through the University of Minnesota Foundation.
- Design promotional materials and help manage social media outreach.
Graduate Research Assistant | Minnesota Population Center, University of Minnesota
- Minneapolis, MN | Sep 2012 - Jan 2013
- Conducted extensive data checks on a Population Atlas project, contracted by the U.S. Census Bureau.
Communications Director | The New School
- Fayetteville, AR | Jun 2009 - Jun 2012
- Improved the effectiveness and efficiency of internal and external school communications.
- Designed, maintained, and updated the school website, focusing on informing current parents and appealing to prospective parents.
- Designed and authored publications (Annual Report and semesterly newsletters), advertisements, and other promotional pieces for the Admissions and Development offices.
- Composed weekly parent communications in paper and e-mail form, maintaining database of e-mail distribution lists.
- Managed and updated calendars of events, keeping track of event requests, meetings, field trips, and resource availability (room availability, bus driver scheduling, equipment, and set-up).
- Photographed school events and candid moments to provide all promotional photography for school publications.
Biological Technician | Mass Audubon
- Cape Cod, MA | Apr - Sep 2008
- Independently collected detailed data on the nesting success 43 pairs of threatened Piping Plovers and documented the successful rearing of 89 chicks; Independently drew up summaries and maps for end-of-season state review.
- Trained and managed one other co-worker.
- Educated beach-goers about the status of threatened birds and how to minimize impact; Negotiated with private land owners to gain permission to fence off portions of their beach to protect nests.
- Attended multiple town meetings to advise town officials and the police department on how best to follow the guidelines of the Endangered Species Act; Met with interested locals to lay the groundwork for a team of volunteers to help monitor beaches and educate the public.
Biological Technician | Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory
- Ft. Collins, CO | Jun - Aug 2007
- Worked independently in various field locations for various bird monitoring projects:
- Conducted broadcast-acoustical surveys of Northern Goshawk in Arizona’s Kaibab National Forest.
- Collected observation and identification data on migrating shorebirds in Nebraska; Negotiated property access with landowners; Assisted coordinator with project troubleshooting and re-design.
Co-Founder & Organizer | Maptime MSP
- Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN | Fall 2014 - Present
- Co-Founded and organized the Twin Cities chapter of Maptime, an international network of meetup groups that offer a beginner-friendly learning environment for modern map making.
- Cultivate an engaged, diverse membership (over 100 members); maintain web accounts, organize speakers and activities for monthly meetings, present introductions to a wide range of mapping technologies and practices.
President | GIS Student Organization, University of Minnesota
- Minneapolis, MN | Fall 2013 - Spring 2014
- Lead student group meetings and coordinate special events.
- Oversaw planning of annual GIS Networking & Career Fair by finding speakers, recruiting GIS vendors, and designing all promotional materials.
Theatre Photographer | Theater Squared
- Fayetteville, AR | Aug 2009 - Jun 2012
- Elevated the brand strength of TheatreSquared over three seasons by offering professional quality photographs of all their theatrical works for marketing materials.
Freelance Photographer and Blogger | The Fayetteville Flyer
- Fayetteville, AR | Feb - Jun 2009
- Photographed social events and concerts and published online photo galleries
- Wrote and photographed weekly Farmers’ Market Profiles
Green Growth Group Coordinator | The Nature Conservancy
- Fayetteville, AR | Feb - Jun 2009
- Planned outings to engage young professionals as future supporters of the Nature Conservancy.
- Designed and disseminated group communications through Email Marketing and Social Media.
Student Scholar Award, Minnesota GIS/LIS Conference
- Rochester, MN | Oct 2014
- Selected to represent the University of Minnesota in a state-wide paper/presentation competition at the annual Minnesota GIS/LIS conference.
- Won 2nd place for paper and presentation: "Mapping eBird: Visualizing Data Coverage in Citizen Science".
Best Cartography and Best Overall Submissions, U-Spatial Mapping Prize
- Minneapolis, MN | Jan 2014
- Won a university-wide mapping prize for Best Cartography ($500) and Best Overall Submissions (all-expenses-paid trip to Esri Geodesign Summit, Jan. 29-30, 2014).
Best Poster: Natural Sciences, U-Spatial Symposium
- Minneapolis, MN | Oct 2013
- Won by popular vote in the Natural Sciences category for my poster that summarizes the eBird Project and maps the location of all 2012 list submissions in the contiguous United States.
Student Assistant, Esri User Conference
- San Diego, CA | Jul 2013
- Selected as one of 40 students to attend the 2013 esri UC with all expenses payed.
- Assisted with conference set-up; staffed special events; and networked with exceptional students, industry professionals, and current esri employees.
Selection of Coursework
- ArcGIS I
- ArcGIS II
- Remote Sensing of Natural Resources and the Environment
- Analytical Cartography
- GIS and the Internet
- GIS Programming
- Spatial Computing
- Spatial Database Management
- Basic Spatial Analysis
- Geographical Analysis of Human-Environment Systems
- GIS Project Management and Professional Development
- User Experience in Design
- Interactive Design Studio
- Geographic Information Systems
- Biological Statistics
- Conservation Biology
- Vertebrate Life
- Aquatic Ecology
- Natural Science and the Environment
- Environmental Policy
- Intro to Computer Programming (C++)
- Creative Identity
- Collaboration Studio
- Professional Practice
- Citizen Science
Places I've Traveled
- Costa Rica
- South Korea
- All over the beautiful United States of America